With a wealth of experience in a highly political industry, Colleen Thompson has held a variety of positions within a dynamic corporate environment. She has a proven track record of managing complex tasks and projects in a fast-paced environment, always ensuring that employee, manager and organizational needs are met.
Following her passion in HR management, and with her intuitive judgment and decision making skills, Colleen successfully led a consulting and service unit for the Canadian Wheat Board (CWB), a global grain marketing organization. She demonstrated a solid understanding and mastery of how to balance HR management with client & customer service and with a team of diverse professionals. Known and regarded for her meticulous attention to detail, she is highly regarded by staff, peers and executive counterparts alike.
As part of an award winning HR team, Colleen held the position of Manager of Employee Services and Management Consulting within People and Organizational Services for the CWB. As a member of that team, she participated in the strategic direction, design and delivery of a leading edge HR model for the corporation.
Additional experience as an HR Consultant, Analyst and C-suite Executive Assistant provides Colleen with the necessary knowledge and tools to understand business and organizational needs, and human behaviour. She is regarded as a coach and mentor to both employees and managers.
She successfully led this function through a massive shut-down and start-up ensuring employees and managers were well supported through a major transition.
Colleen’s academic training in Human Resource management was completed at the University of Manitoba and in Business Administration at Red River College. In addition she has completed a wide range of HR management and leadership development programs. Colleen is also certified in the Prosci change management methodology and the Brantas assessment tool.
- An executive member of the founding Corporation of Bumper Crop Early Learning Centre which was instrumental in establishing an on-site day care facility at the CWB that recently celebrated its 21st anniversary of operation.
- Co-Chair of the 2008 HRMAM Conference Committee resulting in a highly successful event that exceeded its revenue and attendance projections.
- Co-Chair of the Program Development Committee for the 2006 HRMAM Conference with responsibilities of overseeing a large volunteer team.
- Website Manager and Secretary for the Information Services Committee, HRMAM.
- Board Member of HRMAM (2011-2013) responsible for the strategic direction and rebuilding of the professional member association after significant financial turmoil.
Testimonials and Industry Recognition
With a high degree of enthusiasm, Colleen can naturally build a friendly and inviting work environment. She is principled and ethical and has earned credibility from managers and employees alike as a person who gets the job done efficiently and effectively.
Her involvement in the HR senior management team at the CWB contributed to the organization being consistently recognized as a strategic and innovative leader in its HR programs; receiving HRMAM’s Organizational Development and Strategic Initiatives Award, as well as the designation as a Top 25 Employer in Manitoba in 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2012, and as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers in 2011.